President and CEO
Ohio Association of Health Plans (OAHP)
The Ohio Association of Health Plans (OAHP) represents 16 member plans providing health insurance coverage to more than 9 million Ohioans. Ohio’s health plans include commercial insurers, Medicaid Care Coordination Plans and Medicare Advantage Plans.
As the statewide trade association for the health insurance industry, their core mission is to promote and advocate for quality health care and access to a variety of affordable health benefits for all Ohioans.
As the chief executive of the Ohio Association of Health Plans (OAHP) the President is responsible for the effective operation of the Association; for developing and maintaining a working knowledge of the health insurance industry; for the direction of operations and activities of public and private audiences; and for advising and making recommendations of the Offices and to the Board of Trustees with respect to these activities and policies.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Within the limits of the bylaws and polices established or authorized by the Executive Committee and Trustees, the President and CEO is responsible for the following duties:
- Responsible for formulating, recommending, and guiding basic policies and programs, including financial and budgeting programs, for the approval of the Board of Trustees.
- See that the Board of Trustees, and key committee leaders are informed on the conditions and operations of the association, and on all important factors influencing them.
- Responsible for coordinating and providing leadership on government relations; initiating OAHP actions on involvement with state agencies and the recommended responses to government relations activities. Directly supervises the staff in executing government relations and regulatory strategies. Also, maintains effective relations with other organizations, both public and private, in accordance with OAHP policies and objectives.
- Serve as a spokesperson and public representative for the OAHP and, as such, undertakes as many speeches, appearances, and other opportunities for contact as necessary in representing OAHP.
- Ensure development of sound association policies, procedures, and programs to implement the general policies and activities authorized by the Board of Trustees and further sees that these policies, procedures, and programs are effectively administered and controlled.
- Ensure the sound organization and operations of the headquarters office; directs and controls major additions, eliminations, or alterations in internal plans of operation are properly controlled; and oversees the direction and coordination of all approved programs, projects, and major activities of the headquarters staff.
- Provide for optimum utilization of key staff and creation of a positive work environment, and sees that the organization is staffed with competent people; that they are delegated authority and staff; there are regular performance planning and reviews and staff are equitably and competitively and compensation; and that appropriate parameters of their authority are defined and understood with respect to policy, commitment, expenditures, and programs.
- Subject to overall personnel policy, is responsible for hiring of all personnel; maintenance of salary administration procedures and has ultimate responsibility and authority with respect to promotions and terminations.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of standards of performance with respect to all programs and services of OAHP and communications both standards and outcomes to the trustees.
- Provide the necessary staff support to committees, and provides authority to staff members not enable them to properly perform their support functions; and further ensures the committee chairs have necessary support and assistance in accordance with policy and in consultation with appropriate staff liaison personnel.
- Authorize and execute contracts and commitments as may be authorized by the Board of Trustees or established polices.
- Promote interest and active participation in OAHP activities among the membership, ensures communication of activities of the Executive Committee and Trustees and committees to the membership of the Association.
- Develop and maintain annual financial plan and appropriate budgetary procedure with the treasurer, manages the financial plan to assure that all funds, physical assets, and other property of the Association are safeguarded and administered.
- Mange an effective membership solicitation and retention program.
- Ensure the OAHP’s responsiveness to member needs.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCES/ATTRIBUTES INCLUDE:
- 15 years of direct experience in a leadership role, experience in association management or designated Certified Association Executive preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in chosen field; advanced education is a plus
- Experience with insurance, medical and/or healthcare law policy, required
- Successful experience with State or local government lobbying
- Demonstrate leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience
- Team-oriented, collaborative, naturally seeks other’s thoughts and actively listens
- Passionate and innovative leadership style; demonstrated ability to inspire and develop an organization of at least similar size and complexity; including experience supervising staff and working with a board of trustees preferred
- Experience leading in public facing roles that may include public or private sector positions
- Politically savvy and able to communicate effectively with political leaders from both sides and at all levels of government
- Demonstrate the ability to build and maintain positive internal and external relationships, including government agencies, a strong consensus builder
- An energetic self-starter; flexible and able to prioritize multiple tasks, set priorities and implement them
- Have recruited, managed, and developed a strong team of staff. A “player/coach” to motivate and mentor their team
- Demonstrated success as an effective communicator; highly skilled in strategic and operational writing and public speaking
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Intelligent; strong business acumen, strategic thinker, comfortable with complexity and ambiguity; able to thrive in an environment of change and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated success generating revenues and finding new revenue streams for an organization
- Strong and deeply committed passion for the mission of OAHP
- Excellent base salary commensurate with the position, plus performance bonus
- Benefits that include PTO, holidays, health, life, retirement plan
- Opportunity to lead an organization that promotes and advocates for quality health care and access to a variety of affordable health benefits for all Ohioans
To apply: Please send a current resume to Chris Brem at email@example.com or call (716) 359-2796.